Thursday, December 6, 2012

Wyatt's Dresser/Changing Table Overhaul, pt. 2


Finally you could say the dresser is finished. Well, finished if we were just going to buy new hardware or use the old hardware as-is. (Hint: we are not.) Once we got the top stenciled and stained we went ahead and let that cure/dry for a couple days and worked on getting all the drawers and the body of the dresser primed. We used KILZ 2 latex primer and it worked great. We did two coats on the drawer fronts and three on the body, lightly sanding in between each coat with 220.
After that was given ample time to dry we went in and did our first coat of paint. We chose Valspar Ultra in Playful Pool in the gloss finish. I didn't want too much of a primary blue color and I fell in love with the gorgeous almost Tiffany blue color. We got it in the gloss so that it would be more durable and easy to clean since it will be in Wyatt's room. We did two coats, rolled it onto the flat drawer fronts and dresser sides using the same 4'' foam roller and cut in along the edges of the drawer fronts and then along the bottom of the dresser with our brush. The can said to let it dry overnight between coats, and it was a little chilly overnight so we gave it a few extra hours on top of that.



 And I love how it came out! I am so surprised how much I love the color. I have never painted such a big piece a bold color and I'm so happy with it! I love how the blue looks against the stained top, and makes the decorative edge along the bottom pop. This will be so perfect in Wyatt's room! I can't wait to see the rest of it come together. In part three I will cover how we refinished the original brass hardware, since it was super rusted, and how we covered the inside of the drawers.


No comments:

Post a Comment